Mr. WONG ENG TENG
Chief Operations Officer, Prudential Assurance Malaysia Berhad
A man who can’t seem to sit still for too long, Wong Eng Teng has an impressive record of ‘scheming-up’ innovation within the workplace, in his constant pursuit of progress for the company he works for.
In 2015, within one short year of being recruited into Prudential Assurance Malaysia Berhad (PAMB) to head the Information Technology division as Chief Technology Officer, Eng Teng was promoted to the position of Chief Operations Officer, the latter being an additional role.
This large stride suddenly put him in charge of more than 900 members of Prudential staff whose functions range from Transformation to Operations as well as Customer Engagement.
It was only in January of 2017 that he was relieved of his CTO duties.
Eng Teng is a man of vision, and therefore, is totally undaunted by what great responsibilities he gets tasked with. True to his engineering background, Eng Teng systematically ‘re-engineered’ matters as he led the modernization of key technology initiatives in PAMB. Those structured moves have since solidly supported PAMB’s business, while at the same time enhancing customer experience.
Among the developments attributed to Eng Teng’s keen leadership are:
- an innovative mobile point of sale system with offline functionality
- customer web portal
- legacy system optimization
- core claims system replacement
- the institutionalizing of an IT & Information Security culture
- operational excellence through straight-through processing
- enabling of electronic and mobile payment – e-Payment & Pay on Phone
- Real time customers’ feedback survey
- Medical Business Management
- FATCA & CRS
Eng Teng brings with him more than 20 years of experience across the financial services and IT industries. His core expertise and industry experiences include:
- regional banking application management, consulting engagement and stakeholder management skills
- SAP Consulting P&L management, operations and delivery of ERP/Business Suite, Basis & ABAP optimization – covering Malaysia and South-East Asia
- management and implementation of core banking systems, banking service delivery channels and special projects across ASEAN and Asia Pacific
- IT/IS (Information Services) Program Management Office (PMO)
- post-merger system & business integration implementation (including critical disaster recovery, business continuity and regulatory certification tests)
- start-to-end eVenture project planning, management and implementation.
One is hard put to catch him on idle mode. On his off-days and at home, the man regularly indulges in his hobbies, which includes badminton, table tennis and Chinese chess.
This native of Setiawan graduated with a Bachelor of Engineering in Electrical & Electronics Engineering, from the University of Manchester’s Institute of Science and Technology, United Kingdom.